Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I put myself in his shoes and smiled.



Raindrops and teardrops mix like oil and water


Her favorite song on the radio, turned up


A plastic crucifix on the driver's side


Her feet propped against the dashboard


She wants me to get her a kitten





Yellow dress and white heels


Shivers because she wouldn't wear a jacket


Glitter on my jacket, they make fun of me for it


A cry of pain as my foot crushes her toe


Dancing like eighth-graders during the slow songs


She follows my stride





Red lipstick on teeth


Worn t-shirt with holes in it


She smells like citrus and musk


A re-run on the TV that I've always wanted to see


Take a step and fall into her arms


She laughs, she learns





A white car driving down the road


"Where the hell are we going?"


No answer, patience is a virtue


Her head resting on my bony shoulder


Interstate endless

Blogging inspired by "After All" by Ben Rector

No comments:

Post a Comment